In this second article, you’ll learn the rest of the many important SEO checklist items to incorporate for your home building website. Learn successful SEO here.
Welcome back to part two of our SEO Checklist for Home Builders & Developers! In part one, we discussed four crucial SEO techniques for your builder site. These techniques include mobile-compatibility, HTTPS for website security, cleaning up backlinks, and lastly, taking care of all broken links on your site. Continue reading to learn about successful SEO.
In part two, we’ll cover installing Google Analytics, creating a keyword strategy and the importance of consistent blogging:
1. Install Google Analytics
Google Analytics is not only one of the most popular digital analytics software apps, but it’s also a free tool which gives you the much-needed insights about your builder/developer website’s SEO and traffic. For instance, analytics can track how people are visiting your business online, can track campaign conversions and measure the effectiveness of your online marketing efforts.
Here are step-by-step instructions to install Google Analytics:
- Create a Google / Gmail account if you don’t have one already:
- Recommendation – Create a separate one for your business and do not use your personal account.
- Fill out all of the information for your builder or developer business:
- Include the website option.
- Account Name is the name of your business.
- Ensure your business’s name, place and address are all accurate and match with what’s exactly on your website. This is critical.
- After filling everything out, hit the blue button labeled ‘Get Tracking ID’ and then click ‘Accept’.
- If you are using WordPress, use the plugin called ‘Google Analytics by Monster Insights’.
- After activating the plugin, go to ‘Insights’.
- In Insights ‘General settings’, authenticate with the Google Account by hitting the button labeled ‘Authenticate with your Google account’ then click ‘Allow’:
- Make sure you are logged in to your Google account beforehand so it can automatically connect you.
- Copy the code Google gives you after you allow the accounts to connect to each other and paste it onto the WordPress admin box labeled ‘Paste your Google code here’ and click ‘Save’.
- Ensure you connected the right account by going to the Analytics profile drop down menu and choose the ‘All Web Site Data’ option.
For reference, here is a well-explained video of installing Google Analytics to your business’s website using WordPress and other means.
2. Analyze & Add Keywords
Now that you’ve installed Google Analytics, let’s take a look at the importance of keywords. Keywords are carefully selected words or phrases about your business and products. When you think about keywords, think about what a prospective buyer will type into a search engine like Google, in order to find your type of business online.
Keywords can be branded, such as the name of your business, but they can also be long-tail or short-tail keywords. While short-tail keywords are a few words or just two, long-tail keywords, on the other hand, are short phrases such as Best Home Builder Business Florida. Notice how adding the words like best, top and the state your business is in can be helpful to incorporate as part of your keyword’s strategy. This helps define quality and location.
Here are more techniques for you to develop a strong keyword’s strategy:
- Study your audience and current customer base to find out where they are finding your business to begin with.
- List relevant topics about your business such as real estate, home remodeling, new home addition, build on your lot, planned community, etc.
- Use keyword research tools such as Google Keyword Planner, Keyword Tool or SpyFu to help with your efforts.
- Include related search terms about your builder business such as real estate, realtors, homes for sale, etc.
- Create a detailed buyer persona so you can understand the mindset of your prospective homebuyers more accurately. Planning and research will go a long way to improve your results.
- Work closely with a third-party marketing or advertising firm to help you generate a list of keywords if you are not comfortable with this step.
3. Blogging / News
Like I’ve mentioned in previous articles, SEO takes time and persistence. In fact, it takes time for Google to recognize your business online and one of the best practices to SEO is continually publishing new and relevant content to your site. Google is a bot and can pick up new activity on your site and in turn, help build upon your visibility.
If you’re like most home builders, then you probably have a blog or news section on your website. This is a great avenue to post this new content in order to have a successful SEO plan. Keep in mind writing articles and consistently publishing new content online requires time and effort.
Here are some blogging and writing tips to help you get started:
- Create compelling titles and CTA’s (call to action statements) at the end of all articles.
- Include bullet points for readers to make your copy easy to read.
- Implement the Yoast SEO plugin into your site so you can check all of your articles and content for readability and SEO scores.
- Generate articles which will spark interest with your target audience to gain interest and trust.
- Include your keywords in the articles.
- Link your articles to other relevant content found on your website to gain quality internal backlinks.
- Write longer content such as blogs with 1,000 or more words to improve your results.
- Link all of your facts to the source so visitors can know where you get your data and findings.
- Post fresh and relevant content regularly such as weekly or twice a month.
- Link your blog articles to social media posts for gaining backlinks and to gain more viewership to your blog.
By installing Google Analytics, having a strong keyword strategy and consistently blogging you’ll have a solid start to a successful SEO strategy. Taking into consideration all of these SEO techniques, which one do you believe is the most beneficial to your current marketing strategy? Google Analytics, keywords or consistent blogging? Let me know in the comments.
For additional articles of successful SEO interest, read up on the following articles:
About Terry Zelen
Creative Director | Consultant | Author | President of Zelen Communications
Terry Zelen is a seasoned Creative Director with more than 35 years of experience in Home Builder advertising and marketing.
He is the founder of The Punch List, which is an online blog to help inform home builders and developers on strategic marketing insights to fuel their firm.